09 Feb A detailed overview about Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) is used for reducing any hazard exposure that results in acute illness and injuries in the workplace. When an individual contacts with any electrical, chemical, mechanical, radiological, or other hazards at the workplace, it might result in illness and injuries. Personal Protective Equipment kit includes safety shoes, hand gloves, respirators, safety eyeglasses, muffs or earplugs, coveralls, bodysuits, and hard hats.
Who needs to wear Personal Protective Equipment?
- Healthcare staff: Healthcare staff needs to wear PPE as a precautionary measure when treating patients affected with COVID or other infections.
- Affected patients: People confirmed with the infection must wear a PPE kit to prevent any spreading of infection.
Covering with Personal Protective Equipment guide:
- PPE size measurement: In the first step, you need to make sure that you find the right PPE kit size that fits you.
- Sanitize your hands: It is an essential step that every individual needs to follow while wearing the PPE kit. It maintains good hygiene for your hands and raises protection.
- Wear gown for isolation: In the next step, you need to wear the isolation gown and tie it completely.
- Use an N95 NIOSH-approved respirator or facemask: If there’s a nosepiece in the respirator, then fit it accordingly in your nose without any bent. Use both your hands to place the nosepiece. Keep the facemask or respirator extended to cover your chin too.
- N95 Facemask: Tie the facemask securely from the top and bottom ties. Hook the loops properly near your ears.
- N95 Respirator: Place both the top and bottom strap properly around your head and neck.
- Wear a face shield: With the face shield, it helps cover your face completely. It secures any hazard coming in contract with your skin exposing from the mask or respirator.
- Put goggles: Wearing goggles is essential to keep your eyes covered when interacting with any outside hazard. It is crucial to select the googles or eyeglasses that don’t block your respirator seal.
- Wear hand gloves: When selecting the right gloves, find the one that can cover your wrist too.
- Ready to enter: After the complete PPE kit, the healthcare staff can treat the patient.
Some benefits linked with PPE:
In the current scenario, it is essential to maintain safety for laborers. In the construction or manufacturing industry, laborers face several accidental cases. With the absence of safety kits like Personal Protective Equipment, individuals fail to save them from workplace accidents. PPE is beneficial in safeguarding workers against any risks at the workplace. Some benefits of using Personal Protective Equipment includes:
- Bacteria exposure prevention: One of the most beneficial aspects of the PPE kits is preventing any bacteria exposure for all the employees. It reduces the chances of workers getting sick when working at bacteria prone workplace.
- Saves life: When workers have to spend time at the job where germs exposure is high, PPE kit secures their life. It is not a joke since many workers die with the exposure to harmful germs or catch an acute illness.
- Prevent germs spreading: Another beneficial aspect linked with PPE is that it prevents any germs from spreading from one person to another.
- Reduce health emergencies: When staff wears the Personal Protective Equipment, it reduces any health emergencies such as irritants, inhalation disorder, or absorption of a hazardous chemical.